Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Tuesday Painting and Moving Prep

Today first thing bright and early I had to make a quick trip back up to Taichung to buy more paint. I also stopped to buy Domino's pizza for the 3 coworkers helping me paint while I was away. There was only one guy working the Domino's and it felt like it took forever! I didn't make it back to the countryside until 1.

My coworkers told me that unfortunately more water collected overnight on the 2nd floor. But only a little. At least now we have a slightly better idea where the water is seeping down in the structure.

While I was gone, coworker friends Tim and Penny and Lorne helped put down most of the first coat of the first color in my living room. They also painted three walls of the 1st floor room.

Instead of the typical Taiwan off-white apartment paint normally slapped on by the landlord which I find a little depressing, I decided to go with something a little more dazzling.  You have to do it yourself anyway down here in the countryside so why not do it in style. I decided to go with a brilliant yellow and a dark purple combination. Although one of my coworkers said he likes bright colors and even helped suggest what colors I might go with, he also said to my other coworker that the only reason I can get away with colors like this is because I'm not married. The other keeps singing the song "We all live in a yellow submarine." Hey, it doesn't look that bad.

This evening in between several hours of painting by myself, I went out to buy a small table to put my telephone and ADSL box on since I'm not confident there won't be more water coming into the 2nd floor the next few days before the landlord hopefully sends someone over to begin fixing the structural damage. The lady running the shop was all excited because her aunt is a teacher at the local school where Tim and Penny volunteer and wanted to introduce her kids and entire family to me. She was all excited because she said it was the first time she had ever talked to a foreigner and she wanted to get back some of her English since years ago she had studied international trade in college. I found out there's another foreigner who teaches at a local cram school down the street, but that she's scared to talk to him because he can't speak any Chinese or Taiwanese.

Tonight I also went to the local locksmith to copy a key and get a new lock put in on my front door. He's got 4 kids-- I met the two youngest who are twins.

I left a mission vehicle in front of my new place so that when I go back in the morning the parking spot won't be taken like it has been other days. Seems like one neighbor is a little slow in moving his cars elsewhere so I might need to buy a big potted plant or two.

I'm nursing sore feet tonight and will really enjoy hitting the bed as I thank God for a productive yet tiring day.

No comments: