Friday, August 1, 2008

Audiobooks from U.S. Libraries in Taiwan

Having been back in Taiwan for just over a year, I'm beginning to get closer to the bottom of the stack of books I brought back to read. Being on the road a lot and learning a 3rd language, I've not been doing as much pleasure reading as I'd like but it's been nice to listen to lots of podcasts and a few audio books when I'm in the car.

Last year in the US, I saved a bundle by borrowing a lot of the books I wanted to read from the public library. Alas, I thought no chance for that next year. Fortunately, I was wrong.

This term I no longer have to spend fortunes on international shipping through Amazon to buy books. I simply get on the state of Maryland's online library catalogue and look for what's available. I put a hold on the audiobook version of Elie Wiesel's Night and checked out two other audiobooks, both of which were #1 bestsellers on the NY Times list within the past year: Alan Greenspan's The Age of Turbulence: Adventures in a New World and John Grisham's The Appeal.

I sure do thank God for these free resources which I am now able take full advantage of... many of the books using Overdrive software allow for CD burns.

1 comment:

Amrita said...

I 'd like to read Elle Weisel too. How do I get this book. Grisham is one of my favourite authors.