Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Puppy Dogs

In earlier posts I've raved about the dogs which run loose around here, barking all hours of the day and night.

Just before I left for Australia, one of my neighbor's dogs which runs around the neighborhood had puppies again.... she nursed  the five of them just to the left of the front door in front of what was then an empty unit. Thankfully, someone moved in and the neighbor forced them temporarily into cages.

Unfortunately, they've long since been let out of the cages. They bring their bones, trash, etc. to my house front, where I sweep them up in the morning. I've been reminded that I need to leave my outside trash can elevated on top of the bird cages or else they'll get to them.

In my weaker moments, I've contemplated kidnapping the puppies in the middle of the night in order to drop them off in a remote location far from here, or leaving them some steak laced with something to make them go to sleep (to facilitate the dog-napping) or worse. Thankfully, I never acted on those thoughts.

Last week the 20 year old son of the neighbor in question came over to chat with me at my house... the very first time. He works in a small local seafood restaurant. Soon he'll be leaving home for the first time as he does his compulsory military service. He's been back two or three other times since. In one of our talks, he shared about how a dog he raised over by his restaurant was kidnapped and killed by someone in order to enjoy the dog meat. This saddened him greatly.

If I had acted out on my thoughts and been discovered, I would certainly not be in the position I find myself now of being able to share the hope and love we have in God through Jesus Christ to this young man as he moves off into what he feels will be an uncertain period in his life. May God give us additional opportunities to interact. Maybe I can even gracefully approach the topic of the stray dogs and the havoc they cause for the rest of the neighborhood again... However, they do provide an important security service in this area where thieves break in wherever they feel they can make a quiet get-away.

1 comment:

Amrita said...

We have a frequent stray dog problem.
Our neighbours fed them left-overs and so a whole pack of them started mauradiung our campus. I begged the neighbours to stoop feeding them, but they wouldn 't care.Much later did they realize their menace, but it was too late.

2 years ago a bitch had a litter right next to the neighbour 's house. My 2 dogs was very streesed.
I actually tried poisoning the bitch after complaining and reporting them to the dog catchers failed.I once ran after a dog catcher 's van and begged them to come and take the dogs away, they promised but did not show up.

The poison also did not work.

One evening with the help of a rickshaw driver I caught hold of the puppies and took them to a remote place and left them there.

Another batch of puppies I fed fish bones to choke them, but it did not work.Now you call me Cruella D 'Ville

It was like a spiritual battle for me, as the dogs would dig up my garden too. Since the past few months they have stopped coming.God has answered my prayers.

I even burst crackers to scare them away.