Sunday, July 24, 2011

2011 Local Temple God Birthday Festival

Today shortly after our Children’s English Class ended a local god parade went by. Friends told me that the 4 or 5 men taking turns standing on the stand were from Taitung in the eastern part of Taiwan. When on two occasions I asked older gentlemen if there was a story or significance behind the event, what I heard them say is that a long time ago someone did something similar in order to ward off evil and bless/protect people.  Sorry I didn’t catch more of their Taiwanese so as to better relate the story to you!

Tonight my ears are still buzzing from the noise even though I  only observed from a distance for a few minutes. As I prepare to sleep, I’m glad that Jesus died and rose again from the dead, that his shed blood protects me from any similar evil that I need warding off from, and for his living presence which blesses me daily.

1 comment:

Amrita said...

very much like a religious procession in india